Monday 13 June 2011

Avoiding the Mega Supermarkets

Ok so I've started trying to be more sensible,healthier and also shop locally. How do I do this?! I avoid supermarkets especially Tesco.

Here's where I'm getting my food from (its a work in progress so bear with)

1. Fish - supplied by Ocean Delights
www.oceandelights.co.uk

The local fishmonger was put out of business because of a Tesco arriving in the town

2. Meat - Chilley Farm
www.chilleyfarmshop.com

3. Twice a month I have a mixed fruit & veg box from:
www.abelandcole.co.uk

4. Local fruit and veg from a shop near the train station I use.

5. Pet Food comes from a local shop

6. Need to find somewhere else I can buy diet coke and Dr Pepper Zero

4 comments:

  1. I am somewhat anti Tesco's ability/ desire to put small retailers out of business. So good on you for shopping elsewhere like this.

    How do you think it compares in terms of price (although you have clearly gone for quality, so maybe it's not a very representative question)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Believe or not I'm saving a bit of money because I'm not getting distracted by other needless purchases. Though by way of example I spent £10 on lamb from Tesco - couldn't eat it was fatty and tasted awful. Spent less in the farm shop and loved it! There's also using the £ shops and other retailers for cheaper goods. For example most chemists sell radox bubble bath for less than the big supermarkets...which I don't understand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anti Tesco, put me in that club! I have recently become a fan of supporting the local shops too. Was initially driven (forgive the pun) by losing the car but has made me realise it's the right thing to do and often cheaper :)

    ReplyDelete